Nothing is more complex, challenging, or important than assuring high levels of learning for each and every student. And no single factor has a greater impact on student learning than skillful teaching. This is RBT’s cornerstone program for building teachers’ capacity – the knowledge and skills as well as the courage and conviction - to promote students’ motivation, learning, and increased achievement. It is based on the belief that teaching is a process of decision-making; and that skillful teachers never stop learning through experimentation, data analysis, study, and collegial sharing about what works best for their students. The reflective dialogue is consistently rated by our clients as an invaluable asset for building common and coherent language among their educators.
- Teachers (at least 1 year of teaching experience recommended)
- Teacher Leaders
- Instructional Coaches
- Instructional Leaders
- Supervisors and Evaluators of Teaching and Learning
While providing an overview to a comprehensive model of the knowledge base on teaching, participants will study, apply, and reflect on practical ways to:
- Examine powerful beliefs and expectations that influence students' motivation to learn
- Support students in developing a growth mindset
- Design lessons that focus students on what learning is most important (objective) and what success looks like (criteria for success)
- Apply research-based instructional strategies
- Collect, analyze, and use formative assessment data to inform timely decisions about what happens next for students’ learning
- Strengthen cultural proficiency in instruction, curriculum, class climate, and school environment
Course schedules are designed to balance in-class learning and reflection with out-of-class application. Course readings draw upon the course text, The Skillful Teacher, and current professional articles. Course assignments, of which there are three, strengthen participants’ capacities in the areas of planning, teaching, and reflecting. Participants are expected to come prepared to each session having completed course readings and assignments and ready to engage in critical thinking and dialogue with fellow educators.
37.5 Hour Program
For questions, please contact us at Registrar@RBTeach.com or (978) 263-9449.
Location: North River Conference Center, 525 Beech Street, Rockland, MA 02370
Register by: October 5, 2018.
Register online: SmartPD link at https://app.smartedu.net/nrc/pd/, by email or fax.
Registration Fee: $899 for NRC-member districts. $949 for all other districts. Includes text and instructional binder ($115).
Graduate Credit: Course may be taken for 3 Graduate credits (67.5 PDPs) through Fitchburg State University for an additional fee of $385 that is paid at the first session.
Hours/PDPs: 37.5 hours;. 67.5 PDPs.
Cancellation Policy: Refund can be issued provided that notification of a participant’s cancellation is received no less than fifteen (15) days before the workshop date. NRC reserves the right to cancel or postpone undersubscribed workshops.